To do for yourself the best that you have it in you to do - to grit your teeth and clench your fists in order to survive the world at its harshest and worst - is, by that very act, to be unable to let something be done for you and in you that is more wonderful still...the one thing a clenched fist cannot do is accept, even from le bon Dieu himself, a helping hand.
~ Frederick Buechner Listening to Your Life
For warmth
I hold my face in my hands
No, I am not crying.
I hold my face in my two hands
to keep the loneliness warm -
two hands protecting,
two hands nourishing,
two hands preventing
my soul from leaving me
in anger.
~ Thich Nhat Hanh
(quoted in Leading From Within)
If I take the wings of the morning,
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea:
even there shall Thy hand lead me,
and Thy right hand shall hold me.
Sometimes when I'm in church,
I put my hands together and close my eyes
and imagine this Jesus wrapping his hands around mine.
~ Kristin Ohlson Stalking the Divine
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand.
~ Stuart Townend
No comments:
Post a Comment