Meanwhile I have also discovered new writers, which is a wondrous thing, a new seam of inspiration in my reading and thinking about Home. As well as Wheatley, I have found David Whyte, ordered House of Belonging from amazon and have Crossing the Unknown Sea: work as a Pilgrimage of Identity (perfect!) from the library. He begins with a quote from William Blake.
Then I asked: Does a firm persuasion that a thing is so,
make it so?
make it so?
He replied: All poets believe that it does,
and in ages of imagination this firm persuasion
removed mountains,
removed mountains,
but many are not capable of a firm persuasion of anything.
Whyte writes "To have a firm persuasion, to set out boldly in our work, is to make a pilgrimage of our labors, to understand that the consummation of work lies not only in what we have done, but who we have become while accomplishing the task. ...Life is a creative, intimate and unpredictable conversation if it is nothing else...and our life and our work are both the result of the particular way we hold that passionate conversation. In Blake's sense, a firm persuasion, was a...bounty that came from paying close attention to an astonishing world and the way each of us is made differently and uniquely for that world."
1 comment:
I struggle with this often, as well. I've come to find that home is a state of mind; a feeling. Wherever I am I am home. In yoga, we call this being "in the flow."
Much metta!
Post a Comment