This was today's 'Daily Good' in my inbox today. I love mending things. I truly love it. I darn socks all the time - it's so satisfying watching the hole disappear. I have a pair of slippers that I bought in Vancouver's Chinatown three or four years ago that I keep sewing up (really the only things in my house I'm glad were made in China. No offence, China, it's just, you're a long way away and your workers often look sad). Just today I put a piece of duct tape over a hole in the rubber sole, thereby preventing wear and keeping them good for just a little bit longer. I've also been darning the edges of an old hand towel this very evening that I refuse to throw away because it was given to my parents as a wedding present decades ago. I'm cross about the piece of crap heat tool I bought because the damn thing broke and I can't fix it. I tried. It was my own fault for having it too close to the paper so it overheated. I'll have to make a sculpture out of the pieces, or something. I've gone back to the hairdryer (see below).
I try not to shop, really, because I don't need anything. Nothing. Not a single thing. (Not even shampoo.) I walk around the shops and see pretty things and pick them up then put them down and back away from the pretty things saying 'I don't need it', often out loud. Not that I don't splurge on pretty things now and again, but it's a lot rarer. I'd rather try to make a pretty thing (see below) than buy a pretty thing made in a giant factory in a far-off place. I'd love to learn to make my own clothes. Being a crocheter, I'm never short of a scarf or six, or a blanket. and I'm glad to have that skill.
I'm trying to eat more from what I have in my cupboards too and it's surprising what I find hidden away. I'm a little scared of all my tinned food after reading about bpa in the lining, but I'm going to eat what I have then try to get jars in future. I made some bread last weekend, and intend to make yogurt (for which I did buy a thermos flask, made in China.) The bread turned out somewhat mediocre but just peachy for toast for a few days, and I enjoyed kneading and punching down the dough so much I may have squealed. I'm not sure it's cheaper to make your own bread but it's so lovely with some homemade jam, to know just exactly what's in it and that you made it yourself.
7 comments:
I like you even better now I know you darn.
Not that I do. I just want to. And so this post is very inspiring to me.
I often think about different how a room from 200 years ago would feel simply because many, if not most, of the items that your eyes rested on would have been made by you, or someone you knew. Imagine how much more ... full the air would have felt.
Now, you could look around a room full of MANY more items than then, and feel like it's strangely emptier simply because all of our items are a little flatter to us, being made as they are by sad people in factories far away.
Yes, true. I like my things to have stories (like Phoebe's apothecary table in Friends :)
One day I'd like to own a darning mushroom. It's good to have goals...
And I'm hiding in the comments that phase three is that I've just ordered a diva cup. Hopefully another avenue of liberation from Bought Stuff...
Etsy.com is great for that kind of thing (she said, while searching etsy for darning mushrooms).
Now, what be's a diva cup?
www.divacup.com
Oh, yeah, those are really cool. Good idea :)
(Not that I've tried them. But I've been wanting to for a while)
Post a Comment