Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ingredients

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” 
made his light shine in our hearts 
to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory 
displayed in the face of Christ...
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; 
perplexed, but not in despair; 
persecuted, but not abandoned; 
struck down, but not destroyed.
2 Cor 4: 6, 8-9

By acknowledging that we belong to the great Author, our grounding in God...frees us to create our lives with God, knowing that we have God's loving companionship on the path we choose, no matter which decision we make.
Nancy Bieber ~ Decision Making and Spiritual Discernment

The key seems to be to find a restful yet attentive presence in the midst of our work, to open up a spaciousness even in the center of our responsibility. To find some source of energy other than our constant application of effort and will. If we attempt to engage the will continually, it exhausts us and prevents us from creating something with a pattern that endures.
David Whyte ~ Crossing the Unknown Sea

What if you cared less about achievements and being useful, and did more "useless" things? What would it mean for you to dance, make art, write poetry, and pray purely for the delight in the act of creation?
Christine Valters Paintner ~ The Artist's Rule
 

(Recently I have realized that I like to make lists of books and quotes more than I like to actually read books. I just regretfully dropped a class at Regent that would have required me to read a novel a week, which seemed too much too quick and instead, while I was temporarily registered there with intranet access, downloaded about twelve syllabi for classes that looked interesting just for the reading lists. I do like to read books but I like to collect quotes and sort books more. Today I decided to no longer feel bad about this, but to claim it as a characteristic and take it as a Sign.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...