Friday, January 6, 2012

The correct ratio

I'm on a mission to eat more healthy food and Winter Food is one of the books I just picked up from the library to that end. It's a gorgeous book and having volunteered away the morning doing miscellaneous filing I spent an hour of this grey afternoon in an armchair drinking two cups of tea (sequentially) and perusing the entire book. A lot of the recipes are too posh for me, although there are some I'd like to try: Garlic Soup sounds good with cheese on toast (the cheese on toast being my non-posh addition), and blackberry sauce with roasted chicken is intriguing. One recipe called for half an egg, which confused me, and this parenthesis made me smile, imagining large tattooed octopi on motorbikes.
This recipe for stuffed squid sounds disgusting. I don't think the word mucus should ever be in a recipe.
That said, it is, actually, a lovely book; I felt warmer just reading it. I have several more on the way.
This afternoon I made a little shortbread to have with my spot of tea and edifying reading, all very civilized. Shortbread is the first recipe I learned in Home Economics class and I know the ratio of ingredients by heart: 1:2:3 fine sugar:butter:flour (2, 4, and 6oz make a couple of slim 8" round shortbreads - 20m at 170C). Following Hugh F.-W. I like to replace a third of the flour with cornflour (cornstarch) and add a teaspoon of caraway seeds.
Pop in, I have plenty.

1 comment:

Kel said...

that shortbread looks divine

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...