Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ctrl-Alt-Del

Lately I have been feeling, on occasion, a little bit under the weather: headache, a bit nauseous, shaky, that sort of thing. Now that I'm a believer in body awareness and the mind/body connection I have a theory that it's because I'm detoxing my life. I'm taking steps to detoxify my work life in particular and my thought habits, and my brain, body and soul are getting repositioned and learning to do without some of the old scaffolding, instead becoming stronger from the centre.
And I wonder if part of it is the more literal removal of the chemicals in my shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand lotion (this latest purchase smells like heaven. No other word for it) and toothpaste. The baking soda/vinegar experiment is still wildly successful, by the way. I had a minor setback when I tried to put olive oil in my hair to make it less dry, but using cornstarch as a dry shampoo worked wonders. My hair feels great - smoother, healthier, happier. It is, of course, no coincidence that I decided to 'detox' myself literally in this way at this time.
I've had a hankering for soup these days too, and in general I'm in a cleansing, emptying sort of phase. It's important to be gentle with yourself in times like these, while your body and soul figure out how to rebuild your health in a more sustainable way. Sometimes this means soup and a constitutional walk in the sunshine. Sometimes it means tea, chocolate and two episodes of Hawaii Five O.
What I've realized in the last few days is that my word for this year is gentle.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving.
It doesn't matter.
Our is not a caravan of despair.
Come, even if you have broken your vow
a hundred times.
Come, yet again, come, come.
~ Rumi
(quoted in The Artist's Rule ~ Christine Valters Paintner, my shiny new book)

3 comments:

Sue said...

What a delightful post :)

The mind-body connection is *fascinating*. I am finding personally that practising the whole detox thing (both physical detox from heavy metal and also detoxing from old anger - COMPLETELY interrelated) is beautiful in the abstract and has been awfully confusing and really hard in the reality of it. Which I guess is why I found this post so delightful :) (If that makes any sense).

You seem really aware and tuned into your body, which is an AMAZING gift to yourself :)

E.Louise said...

Yes I think no doubt detox is hard, both literal and metaphorical. We're re-learning, re-adjusting and it takes such damn perseverance, bloody-mindedness even. But it's more real and does make us stronger because we only do it if we believe in ourselves.
Plus, reading blog posts by others doing similar things helps :)

Sue said...

It does help :)

I agree about the bloody mindedness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...