Sunday, May 27, 2012

Set free in stone

I'm still trying to shake the vestiges of PTSD (which at this point is a bit like having PMS all the time) and whiplash after my car accident 18 months ago. It's tiresome that it is still affecting me, but these past two weeks I've started a new yoga class, and I just keep chipping away at it. That's really all I can do. I do think I'm turning a corner these days, and I am hopeful. A good friend told me last week, when I wrote to her about this, that I am a "wonderful blend of fierceness and gentleness". That was nice to hear, and I think why an image that I saw on a schoolfriend's facebook page felt like a self-portrait. He gave me permission to post it here.
A Blessing ~ John O'Donohue
May you listen to your longing to be free.
May the frames of your belonging be large enough for the dreams of your soul.
May you arise each day with a voice of blessing whispering in your heart that something good is going to happen to you.
May you find a harmony between your soul and your life.
May the mansion of your soul never become a haunted place.
May you know the eternal longing which lives at the heart of time.
May there be kindness in your gaze when you look within.
May you never place walls between the light and yourself.
May your angel free you from the prisons of guilt, fear, 
disappointment, and despair.
May you allow the wild beauty of the invisible world to gather you, mind you, and embrace you in belonging.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Isn't it disconcerting when those traumatic things happen and how our responses to those things are so out of our control? I had a traumatic event happen over a year ago and my responses was very surprising. It was like a retriggering of old traumas and wham, I fell way backwards so that I felt like I was living as a Neanderthal, fight-and-flight, just totally out of that beautiful space I'd managed to carve for myself over a few years.

I still don't feel like I'm back there. It's like all my confidence has been shot having all those old traumas flood back so seemingly easily.

I've been thinking a lot about how to get back to that old place. How did I get there originally? Listening to myself, noting my dreams, meditation, yoga. Relearning that I don't have to live in those old ways even though they are so rutted that when I'm in them I can't see any different.

So therefore I really resonated with this post, and I just love that image, and John O'Donohue's words. From where I'm standing, you are coming along just fine (although I know it's never fast enough :)

E.Louise said...

Thanks Sue. That image is pretty powerful isn't it? I can see how the post would have resonated, and I hope you have the time and space and knowhow to nurture yourself. I'm trying to get to a new place because I've so many ways to be healthier since the accident. Seems like it's partly the work of learning and stretching, and partly self-acceptance and letting things be and mend at their own pace. A balance of those things, at least for me.

Sue said...

I agree it's a balancing act.

It's also (at least to me) very disconcerting to be in that place because whatever weaknesses and frailties I have reassert themselves there. And that feels very unfair. And meanwhile, the other place - the place where I was before it happened, where I was meditating and doing yoga (the two things most helpful for me to stay there) and where the world looked beautiful and where I could feel God - feels like it's not there, and it's an act of faith to get back to where you originally were.

At least, that's how it goes for me. I find it all quite traumatic, but at the same time there is so much richness there to gather and learn from and use. It really is like the deep, dark forest in fairytales, and needing to find those symbolic things that get you back out into the clearing again :)

At least, for me :)

But yeah, in that space, self-acceptance is so vital, isn't it.

I can see you know how to nurture yourself to return. It takes a lot of calling in of wisdom, and of seeing in the dark, and I get the feeling that you are quite good at those sorts of things, EL :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...