My advice to you is don't join a genealogy website unless you have a lot of free time, and someone else to bring you food. I joined ancestry last Sunday night have done barely anything else since then. I'm just about done now, at least as far as I can go. Things got rather intense on Monday and Tuesday. I had lunch around 3 and dinner (noodles, omelettes) around 9pm, and went to bed at 1. It's entirely addictive and of course never finished. I took most of my family lines back to at least the late 1700s using ancestry and familysearch.org (thanks Mormons!); it helps that they are all from the south-west of England, and mostly from the same towns and villages for generation after generation. I have so much information in my head now that it's hard to snap back into real life. I can even google map the street addresses and see where they lived (when it's still a house and not a shopping mall). In general, life was very hard for my ancestors. They were all poor and had many children, some of whom inevitably died young. My Welsh grandfather's father was working down a mine in the Welsh
valleys at 14 and consequently died of TB and silicosis when my
grandfather was only ten. He says he remembers them carrying the coffin
through the village. One great great great grandfather ended his life living in a workhouse in Bristol. The same workhouse union built a new building shortly after he died which later became a hospital, and is where I was born. Really it's a wonder I'm here at all. But they were always surrounded with family, of many generations. I envy that, and I can imagine happy times.
After several centuries of family in Bristol (paternal side) and Devon/Wales (maternal), I'm glad to have been born in Bristol, and to have lived a year in Devon. I think if I go back to England, I'd like to live over that way. It's most definitely where my roots are.
3 comments:
"One great great great grandfather ended his life living in a workhouse in Bristol. The same workhouse union built a new building shortly after he died which later became a hospital, and is where I was born."
Wow, there's a story right there.
I have been resistant to going onto that ancestry website because it charges. But your post has whet my appetite.
I did do an internet search a few months ago. My mother's maiden name is Brehaut and our ancestors are from Guernsey, in the Channel Islands, where "Brehaut" is like "Smith", apparently. Managed to trace all the way back to Pierre Brehaut des Marchez, who was born around 1360.
It made me feel rather grounded to the earth, thinking of all those who went before me.
It's very addictive. I was on the UK ancestry site which gives you a two week free trial, and actually even though I've 'left' I can still see all my trees, and 'publish' family trees, I just can't see the official documents. If you do get a free trial I recommend transferring interesting information onto each person's 'profile' page so you can still see it after you leave. The familysearch.org one is also good. But if you already went back to 1360, which is AMAZING, then I'm not sure anyone could tell you anything you don't already know!
That's good stuff to know - the Aussie site has a two-week free period as well, so I might take it up
It is pretty amazing, isn't it. 1360 - 600 years of people who I'm related to. I'd like to look up my Dad's side, actually, and see where that goes.
But yeah, I can totally see why it's addictive. It's a very cool thang :)
Post a Comment