My Grandfather's Clock was one of my favourite childhood songs. I've been rummaging around youtube and even though there are no words in this one, I chose it because he looks like he's having such a good time. (Note to self, add 'learn banjo' to the bucket list.) I also have a fondness for things that are mechanical, off the grid, so I love pendulum clocks and have a dream of owning a grandfather clock. Yesterday I was on ebay to see if I could find a wind-up watch, and on etsy to look at handmade pendulum clocks. Yes, well, lottery notwithstanding, there's more chance of me making my own. Oh, making my own clock, how marvelous that would be. So then I went to youtube and found this lovely series of videos of a chap making his own clock from a kit (there are kits!). It seems that one needs various tools and machinery to make a clock, but I ended up watching his entire series, partly for the commentary and music that is just so quirky and British I loved it, and mostly to see the clock take shape. So cool.
This is just the lower half, obviously. The top half is currently wound round the top dowel. I've never taken pictures of it before and I think it looks pretty good, if I do say so myself! It's incredibly slow work because of the distribution of the colours in the complex pattern, but little by little it comes together.
So, here's to investing in long term projects. Here's to creativity and perseverance. Here's to celebrating one's quirkiness.
2 comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqwXYFKl43w
Oh, wow! That cross-stitch looks amazing. Yes, it is a geeky sort of a thing to do, isn't it (I reserve the right to say that, having done cross-stitch myself in the past, hehe :)
I look forward to looking at that clock-making video when I'm NOT procrastinating from working. I have three hours to do today and it's already past 6 pm so ... ugggh.
I loved My Grandfather's Clock to such an extent when I was young that even a banjo-playing hick version makes me feel a little chokey.
Post a Comment