Saturday, April 7, 2012

Stations of the hot cross buns

One of my projects this Easter has been to make hot cross buns from scratch. The shop-bought Canadian hot cross buns are not fabulous and contain weird coloured pellets that I think are supposed to represent peel.
The baking of the hot cross buns was a two-day process, following this recipe. The fruit soaked in tea overnight, and the beer mixed with the yeast and left overnight to grow. (Which reminded me of this scene from The Sleeper (at 6m and 7m45, or so.)
I used a lot less flour than the recipe suggested - about 140g less in fact - but otherwise followed the recipe and the stages marked out my day. Here they are doing their quiet second rise.
I piped the flour/water cross on each one and it felt like a ritual...bless you my bun...
Then into the dark oven.
Out from the oven they arose. A mighty triumph.
More tea, vicar?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...