Saturday, November 19, 2011

Same but different

I've been re-reading my old blog this evening ('07-'10). It's quite different from this one in its style, just jolly little everyday anecdotes and topical youtube clips (including this one which is just so wrong and just so funny): determinedly perky. I'm still perky but this blog is definitely different and I'm fine with that. It's nice to have a blog for me, where I don't feel like I have to be entertaining all the time. I did find this quote that fits in with the spirit of this blog nicely:

In one conversation, Hayat asked Esme if it were true that we reincarnate into different bodies after death. Esme said that it was. 
"But how will I know if it's me?" asked Hayat. 
"How did you know it was you this time?" answered Esme.
from The Knitting Sutra

and this 

We all think of the scene in The Ten Commandments movie with Charlton Heston, where Moses lifted up his rod, and the waters rolled back. But this midrash says that's not how it happened. Moses lifted up his rod, and the sea did not part. The Egyptians were closing in, and the sea wasn't moving. So a Hebrew named Nachshon just walked into the water. He waded up to his ankles, then his knees, then his waist, then his shoulders. And right when water was about to get up to his nostrils, the sea parted. The point is, sometimes miracles occur only when you jump in.
A.J. Jacobs The Year of Living Biblically

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...