After my practice crayon-melting I was ready for the big one. I bought a bigger canvas, more crayons and prepared to be epic. It turned out that painting the canvas black was the most fun part - I didn't know that black could be so satisfying. I tried a lot of crayon colour combinations and now own more crayons than anyone over 8 should own. Once I decided, and stuck them down, it took me days to get to melting them. I just had a hunch they would look worse after melting. I don't know that they look worse, but the melting became a rather arduous process. It was one of those things that, once you start, you have to finish in one sitting however long it takes and I do not like things like that. The problem I had was that I was swooping my hairdryer back and forth and by the time the forth became back the first crayons had already hardened again. This is the problem with good quality crayons. After about 45 minutes and a hairdryer on the verge of spontaneous combustion I realized I had to hover over one area, melt it, and then move on to another area. I also tipped the canvas right up to vertical to let gravity be my friend. And so, after this short story made long, this is the result. (I also keep forgetting to take a picture in daylight, so this is badly lit.)
And here it is in its new home, a sort of substitute fireplace.
Initially I was so fed up with the extensive melting process that I was a bit tired of it, but as time goes by it's growing on me. If I do this again, I think I'll invest in a heat gun. My poor hairdryer has paid its dues.
3 comments:
Oooh, I like! That looks so cool!!
Thanks, I like it too.
I think once I have a heat tool, there'll be no stopping me!
Yeah. That turned out great!
Post a Comment