Friday, November 25, 2011

Message in a bluebottle

A large black fly has been buzzing around my flat for the last few hours. I don't know where it came from. I thought all the flies were dead now, but this one is very much alive. I liberate flies: I catch them with a jar, slide a postcard underneath and fling them from the front doorway out into the world. I can't liberate this one though because it hasn't sat still for more than two seconds.
Just now I thought that maybe the fly keeps circumnavigating back to just above my head every half a minute because I'm supposed to pay attention to the fly. Maybe it's a message, a sign of something. I'm not sure what that would be though.
Or maybe I just had the front door open too long while I was bringing in the groceries earlier this evening.
Since I started writing this post, the fly has stopped buzzing. Now that's a weird thing. Oh, wait, no, there it is...maybe I need a pet...

1 comment:

E.Louise said...

Update: I discovered the fly considerably less energetic, hopping about a windowsill today. I scooped him up in a jar and swooshed him outside. He flew far - I imagine him flying in the cool air, most of his eyes closed, wings outstretched. He'll probably die soon, but he'll die free!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...