I wanted to try a collage for a while. I got about six or seven magazines from Value Village and sat one evening watching television and cutting out pictures and words that took my fancy, without thinking too much about it. When I emptied the envelope I had a LOT of pieces, so I upped both the size of canvas and the feeling that this was a rather narcissistic enterprise (which doesn't usually stop me). I didn't use everything, and the decision what not to use was interesting, deciding how positive or negative to be. I liked that I was basically stuck with whatever was in those magazines - I could have drawn or written on it, but it's good to think that the limitations might be a way of leaving the messages in the lap of the God.
So, here it is. Canvas painted black, naturally, which is always one of the most fun parts. I was going to 'mod podge' it, but I did one corner and it dulled the black too much so I'll leave it, which might mean it all falls to pieces before too long. I'm not too precious about it anyway. It's doubtless more self-expression than art as such, and it wavers between wishful thinking, inspiration, comedy moments, affirmation, and quiet pleas. Overall I found it a productive exercise. I probably don't need any more giant collages for the moment, but this one I like. Try it yourself!
No comments:
Post a Comment