Friday, February 17, 2012

Stop jumping around

Walk cheerfully over the earth.
~ George Fox

So today marked my 5th Canadanniversary, as I like to call it. Five years in Canada. As I said to someone the other day, commitment only works with me if it creeps up on me. If you'd told me back then I was required to spend the next FIVE years in Canada, I wouldn't have wanted to, but mostly because of the 'required to' rather than the 'in Canada' part. And so here I am. I wonder if I'll get to ten years...
In other news, I recommend to you this book:
I've read a lot on this type of topic and I appreciated this book a lot. It's well-written and structured, practical and researched. The writer is a Quaker and it has a Quakerish feel about it. I'll leave you with a Rumi-esque quote from towards the end of the book.

I believe there are truths you already know about what you can have and do in this season of your life. You need time to be still enough to recognize them. These truths are deeper than the immediate decisions facing you. The next step in your decision will become clearer after you acknowledge the deeper truths. Stop jumping around. Be still and listen for what you already know.

2 comments:

Sue said...

That book sounds wonderful. Anything from the Quaker side of things is right up my alley.

I love what she says, that we know what we need to do. It does feel like that, doesn't it.

My life feels so strange when I compare it to other people. No children. I work from home. I can go for days and days without seeing anyone but my partner. And I look around at some people and how frantic their lives are, and though my life has originally become like this through ill-health, I know that I could not live any other way now (because of the whole highly sensitive person thang). I look at that frantic version of living and now it scares me. It would be like cutting off my own branches, giving myself leprosy.

It's hard enough as it is listening to hear what we already know :)

E.Louise said...

Yes other people's lives scare me too. And yes, I agree it's hard enough as it is.
My life is definitely strange too - but I was just saying to someone the other day 'everybody else' doesn't really exist. We think 'everybody else' is all the same and of course they think the same too. So really there's no 'everybody else'. We're all weird, when it comes down to it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...