God looks for the slightest yielding, the smallest opening, to make his love known. God doesn't stand with his back turned until we ask for him. God doesn't hide and expect us to seek him. God doesn't keep his distance and await our call. God said, "I revealed myself to those who did not seek me. To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, 'Here I am, here I am'" (Isaiah 65:1). What God did for the children of Israel, God does for all.
God stands at the door and knocks, and if we don't answer, he looks for an open window.
~ Philip Gulley and James Mulholland If Grace is True pic from here
In many ways I like this reminder of God's persistent love, which is also discussed in my blog-find-of-the-day.
God is the troubadour outside our window singing love songs. God is the parent always extending love to the runaway child. God is the prison chaplain who visits the murderer in the cell. God is always, always, always coming toward you. Yes, God respects your freedom. But God doesn't ever, ever stand on the sideline.
~ Richard Beck
I must confess, however, to somewhat mixed feelings about this idea of God looking for an open window and always, always coming towards me. I stalk you because you first stalked me. Perhaps I feel my free will threatened. Perhaps I'm not ready to be found and seen. (Let me get used to the knocking on the door before You start popping your head up at the window.) This is why salvation cannot be instant: I'm still in the process of being saved: piece by piece, trust by trust, the metaphor relaxes into something less than creepy.

No comments:
Post a Comment