I hate to post one video after another, truly, but I was rummaging around in the internet looking for connections between empathy, restorative justice, spirituality, psychology and the like and I found the blog associated with the website of the Compassionate Listening Project. (which, by the way, has interesting training programs just over the border in Seattle...)
One of the posts linked me to one of the RSA animated talks on the Empathic Civilization, which I post here for your edification. Sometimes approaches like restorative justice and compassionate listening can, to my world-weary mind, seem a little optimistic and not 'how the world works', much as I'd like it to. So I like this integration of biology and sociology into the mix (along with the optimism - and, as we have learned, a little wishful thinking never hurt anyone after all).
My favourite quote: "Empathy is grounded in the acknowledgement of death and the celebration of life and rooting for each other to flourish and be. It's based on our frailties and our imperfections..."
I don't think I ever thought about the double meaning of 'root' before.
No comments:
Post a Comment