Well I was somewhat miffed today. I had applied for a job that I really wanted and I didn't get it. So that was disheartening. Is disheartening. This evening I finally opened up my emails for the Etsy seller seminar I apparently signed up for, with a workbook and everything. (Don't feel like every time I mention my Etsy shop I'm secretly wanting my dear readers to buy stuff. It's a big part of my life at the moment and, as we shall see, integral to my well-being. That is why I mention it. Of course, if you feel led to buy stuff, I won't stand in your way.)
I got to work on the first worksheet where I had to list twenty words that 'describe my business' in order to work towards a 'brand promise'. Twenty is a lot. I got stuck several times. But I'm willing to share with you my words:
Soulful ~ Colourful ~ Shaped and textured ~ Natural ~ Encouraging ~ Affirming ~ Creative ~ Positive ~ Meaningful ~ Eclectic ~ Heartfelt ~ Liminal ~ Grounded ~ Reaching ~ Fierce ~ Handcrafted ~ Artistic ~ Expansive ~ Gentle ~ Peaceful
I love this list. I think all the words wave between descriptive and aspirational, depending on the product and depending on me, so there's an organic nature to it, if you will. And what I realized is that more broadly it is a good representation of what I aspire to be and do, and where I want to dwell. Which, perhaps, is why I love my little shop. Soul, originality and beauty were the three terms I came up with for my brand promise. I think it's good (and good for me) to feel a bit of a stretch with my creativity and how I describe it. Better to aim up and live into it. And so this exercise perked me up.
I leave you with one of one hundred and twenty photos I took on a weekend away at some friends' last weekend (look at the wings), and a scribble I drew and painted (testing out wax/watercolour combos) during my regular expressive art session with my friend - my usual abstract swirling but I do like the effect. I've just noticed the colour matches the bee. That is synchronistically pleasing.
1 comment:
It occurs to me too to add impractical and delusional to the list, but let's not listen to that voice today.
Post a Comment