I graduated on Monday and it's been pleasing me ever since to call myself a Mistress of Theology, which makes it sound like a bit of a dark art...which it probably is. Or something I would have got burned at the stake for in yesteryear...which it also probably is. The ceremony was in Vancouver's lovely, pint-sized cathedral with a pipe organ that I'm pretty sure was designed for a space about five times as big. It was like a hymnal rock concert. Or maybe I'm just not used to pipe organs. That could be. I'm not much for pomp, myself, but sometimes one has to do these rites of passage, and it was good to be an extra smiling clapping person for those of my peers who have come through significant struggles in order to graduate. And there's something to be said for closure.
***
The daughter of the Upstairs Family looked at me with a concerned expression the other day as we were standing in their garden, which is under construction. She said 'How do you feel about fairies?'. To which I replied, as seriously as I could muster, and to her great relief, that I was fine with fairies. She said there would be a fairy garden in a corner of the back yard. I found it so precious that there exists in this world an eleven-year-old who has retained her childhood imagination in this way, that I decided to make a fairy door. I also really wanted to make a fairy door. I nicked some supplies from the kids' art room at church (ssh) and had a merry time.
Doorways and magic all round, then, it seems.
No comments:
Post a Comment