I've decided I ought to start swimming again. I've never been A Swimmer but I used to like it. And yet I haven't been in a pool or other large body of water for maybe twelve years.The chiropractor and massage therapist I used to see suggested it as it's low impact but whole-hearted exercise.
I think I would like it for the same reason I like big swoopy painting; it's physically 'all-in', and expansive. Sometimes I air-swim as I walk about my house. I suspect that's not normal, but there it is. Add it to the list.
I actually made this decision about a year ago. So far I have got the point of asking at the pool when a less busy time would be, and have noted that when they have lane swimming they have 'fast' 'medium' and 'slow' lanes. I have not yet purchased a swimsuit (/costume - if you say costume here they think you want to swim dressed like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Or like a flying monkey.) I went into a shop, saw them all hanging there all limp and slippery on their hangers, had a quick shiver, turned on my heels and walked out. So that's a problem, obviously. One for the new year.
Swim in the sky in the meantime.
1 comment:
Swimming is fantastic. I haven't been in ages, and I miss it. There's something very centering about water, and moving through it while I let my mind wander.
Post a Comment