Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thematic pause for effect

I did some painting with my painting buddies the other day. I swirled some red and blue around, as I like to do, then got a toothpick and marked some wavy lines. And then it became this little doodle. (See the bird? the bird's important, as is the smoke from the chimney.)

And this looked familiar to me, and it turns out it's quite similar to this, which I did about 18 months ago here:

And then I scanned through all my posts marked 'art' and discovered that I essentially paint two things, when I'm not painting scribbles: trees/roots and the sea with me on the edge of it, the latter being here and here and here and here, for example. Make of that what you will; I think it's a combination of seeking adventure and stability, freedom and belonging, in both themes. The bird in the top one versus the cozy smoke from the chimney. And my stability and belonging is a little set apart from the stormy waves, in my little house.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Awww, it's so sweet :) But I can't for the LOIFE of me see that bird!

Ocean, house, stability and security versus freedom and exploration. That totally makes sense to me.

I wrote some morning pages today for the first time in months. I have NOT been doing anything non-writing creatively in recent months except for writing and man, do I feel it. The morning pages were a warm-up to an essay I'm putting together and I was writing in them how I feel so strongly sometimes that I need to be creative on my own. And yet I am perfectly able to be creative with my partner in the house, but sometimes it feels harder. I do much prefer to be by myself when writing ... I would one day like a small writing room in the garden :)

I was writing this morning about what the terrain of getting to being creative looks like for me. I immediately envisioned a rather barren landscape full of rocks and no trees, with a deep cave nearby. Enter into the cave and it's totally dark. Pitch black. Walk through a narrow hallway out into an enclosed area except for the roof, where the light spills in. The majority of the space is filled with a shallow lagoon. To the right, a desk. That's how it feels for me.

I really love the colour and the texture of that second piece you painted. It feels like it would taste like some sort of uber yummy tart with glazed fruit on the top :)

Hungering now :)

E.Louise said...

The bird is in the top left corner of the blue one. See it? I was just reminded of morning pages recently. Today I read Solitude by Anthony Storr who is very sure about the positive connection between solitude and creativity, and I'd tend to agree. I love your solitary image - even though it's a cave, light gets in.

Sue said...

Of course! There it is. How could I have missed that?? :)

Sounds like a good book.

And yes, I love too how the solitary image is a space-creating image. You've got to go through the long dark bit from the outside to get to the enclosed inside :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...