Thursday, July 18, 2013

Limits

So we had a very controversial talk at church last Sunday. I hesitate to call it a sermon. The speaker always likes (and possibly needs) to push people's buttons and be challenging, which is fine, but this time I for one ended up upset and offended, as did several other people. When I asked one person about it I had barely got the question out before they said 'blasphemous' and that was the end of that, and I would actually have to agree. And yet there were others who were completely unfazed by it, a mixed reaction that is actually one reason why I like my church. It's not predictable.
The idea that was presented which sent me reeling was that God the Father was declared to be weak and ineffectual (not just for the speaker but by definition) and we were invited to pray and give God our forgiveness for God being weak and ineffectual. I was leading the service, so I had time to rework the closing prayer to basically contradict the talk and try and be a bit more uplifting (not to mention orthodox).
I would consider myself pretty open-minded and wasn't actually sure what my boundaries were in my faith any more. Some days I wonder what I believe and don't believe. So I suppose the silver lining was that I discovered a limit, an edge to my faith, a place where my faith does not live.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...