Sunday, October 16, 2011

Supplies!

(This title is the punchline to a slightly un-pc joke about a Japanese person hiding in a stationery cupboard.)
We don't allow ourselves to be surprised as adults. Our unwillingness or inability to be wowed is exactly the problem - we equate being surprised with being unprepared and naive. 
If I'm surprised, I'm weak; if I'm surprised, I'm vulnerable. Therefore, I can't be surprised, I won't let myself be surprised, I will do whatever it takes to not be surprised...It is that sense of mystery and wonder and intense focus and fascination we lose as we age, that we need to recover, reclaim, own, cherish, and share.
Patti Digh ~ Life is a Verb
(This video is its own surprising punchline and, coincidentally, also Japanese (I think))

1 comment:

Anna said...

Some days, when I'm walking down the street on my way to the grocery store, I see something that makes me smile in surprised delight at the wonder of the world, whether it's a person with an amazing hat, a squirrel staring at me, or a snail making its slow way across the pavement. On the darker days, it helps...like God's reminding me that I'm less broken than I thought, because He can still surprise me with joy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...