Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday morning motivator

I had another no-internet day yesterday. I still felt a bit jittery about it, and felt the pull to 'just check this one thing' but I'm pretty determined. However, I did cave in on the tv part to watch the end of the hockey game and then a couple of episodes of Bones. I'm ok with that, wouldn't want to slip into legalism after all, and I'd already finished my book du jour, the memoir of Lewis Smedes called My God and I. For all his fine words about how God likes good grammar (Rob Bell take note) I can't help feeling it's suppose to be My God and Me. But I suppose My God and I implies the sentence is unfinished and they're off to do something together, which has a nice feel.
In any case, it was another great choice, a lovely book, funny and down to earth. As an example, here's how he talks about his 'vision quest' retreat and return from depression:
Then God came back, He broke through my terror and said: "I will never let you fall. I will always hold you up." When I heard him speak - or, as some of my friends say, imagined that I heard him speak - I felt as if I had been lifted from a black pit straight up into joy...Never before had I known such an amazing grace...
I have not been neurotically depressed since that day, though I must, to be honest, tell you that God also comes to me each morning and offers me a 20-milligram capsule of Prozac...I swallow every capsule with gratitude to God.
Lewis Smedes ~ My God and I
Also newly delivered to my inbox every Monday is the Monday Morning Motivator, sent to me (and 66,830 other people) by a chap called Drago. Just to explain, I used to teach job skills to classes of about twenty predominantly male animation/game design/visual effects students with an average age of twenty. They were good lads, by and large, and 'believed' what I had to say to them I think in equal measure because I wore high heels and because I have a PhD. In any case, in order to respect their sensitive masculine natures, I tried to find encouraging and inspiring websites that weren't too 'fluffy'. (Some of them balked at the Franklin Covey stuff I tried). This one for example, very 'grrr' and manly. By the way, if you know any gamers, this is a great video which went down well (note the high heels and phd). I also signed up to these Monday Morning Motivators that always end 'Have a great week unless you choose otherwise.' Yeah. Grr.
So I still get them even though I don't teach there any more (although now I write about it, I kind of miss it). This week's headline was 'Does God Like You', the purpose being to show the importance of headlines. I liked his final words:

Love isn't a feeling, it's something you do. Love is action. Love rolls up its sleeves and wades into messes it did not make. This is how we can love people we don't like.

But just for the record, God likes you. He actually likes you.
 
I asked
him if he was sure. He said, “Yeah, I’m sure.”

1 comment:

Sue said...

What a delightful reminder of Love. Thanks for this post on this Tuesday morning here in Oz.

It's funny how life goes. There really is nothing certain in it except God. I would like my certainties about God to be forever embedded, set like stone in me, and I really thought they were. But lots of fears have been swirling in recent times and in those times I think of Jesus' words about waves rising up and impeding our sight.

And yet the waves break down (as they must, and as sometimes they must rise also) and there Godde is still. So beautiful, who can say words fit to describe Her/Him?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...