Now that I have returned to my own home the blogging might well resume. I'm thinking about this thinning business. I have never been someone good at having my fingers in lots of pies and so having two part-time jobs plus another occasional contract job on the side, plus the Rest Of Life is, I'm starting to think, more taxing on my brain and general well-being than a single full-time job might be, or at least a single job. The employment extravaganza started because when I started earning my own way instead of support raising I took everything offered to me in case any one of those offers didn't pan out. Now I'm in a better position to be somewhat more selective so it's a question of thinning my employment and knowing what to take out and what to let grow. Which, since my most promising job is a hefty commute, means deciding how that weighs in and/or if I want to move closer in order to unheft the commute, and in order to have a dose of the urban city life before I retire to my gypsy caravan in the country. Since I generally find I want a different thing every day, and don't seem to be able to fix on anything with any great consistency, it's hard to know, but at least now I know I want to be paid for it, so that's progress I suppose.
Assuredly shrub-thinning is a work of great importance, only a degree less so than planting. It is nothing without a plan and system well thought out before the removal of a single plant or branch. It is necessary to see through several trees at once, and have in mind a clear impression of what the effect will be when the work is done. If the operator cannot fully see and appreciate the work when it is done, even before a stroke is made, he had better leave things as they are and submit to a greater muddle, lest he should make one still greater.
The Journal of Horticulture, Cottage Gardener and Country Gentleman (1874).
God bless Google books.
Fruitfulness is best ensured by a moderate degree of pruning, consisting in the thinning of the branches, so that light and air may have better access to the remainder...Vigour is imparted to the remaining branches when a plant is closely cut in, provided the roots are healthy and active; for in this case, the roots having but a limited demand to meet, are enabled to provide sap more freely to the remaining parts, which consequently push forth with much more than ordinary strength.
Annals of Horticulture (1850)
No comments:
Post a Comment