This summer at my little church we replaced sermons with people talking about their work, as we did last summer. Today a quiet, unassuming, older lady told her story and it turns out she was, with her husband, something of a civil rights bad-ass in the 60s. I say quiet and unassuming but you can tell she's pretty fierce behind that. She also spent time helping pacifist draft dodgers into Canada during the Vietnam war (one of whom also attends my church and told his story to the kids) and then she spent many years working with refugees into Canada. So yes, fierce. And awesome. And sort of makes you wonder wtf you're doing with your own life, really.
Yesterday and today what I did with my own life was play swoopingly with colour. Since I'm waiting to hear about a job I'm finding ways to distract myself and painting always helps. I think once I figure out which freakin country I'm going to be living in I'd like to volunteer (or not) and help other people play swoopingly with colour too. Painting always helps.
I would like to be braver in using white paint. I'm a little scared of it. Hence I avoided it this time and relied on space rather than white.
And then today I played some more with picmonkey which is like photoshop for poor people - or, I like to think, photoshop for people who aren't daft enough to pay for photoshop when picmonkey is so awesome. I tried out the layering of two images, combining a section of this painting with the one I did last week. It was most excellent fun and kept me quiet the whole of Sunday afternoon.
Quiet, but fierce.


No comments:
Post a Comment