Had a lovely lunch with some ladies today to talk about Gabor Mate's book 'When the Body Says No: the Hidden Cost of Stress' which we discovered we'd all read and appreciated. We were a group of 4 who already knew each other but not terribly well so it was nice to get to know everyone and talk about meaningful, intelligent things. One of the things I wrote down was 'the opposite of stress is not relaxation but a plan'. Liked that idea very much. Not that there's anything wrong with relaxation but it's a nice motto for task-orientated people like me.
This means I need a plan to deal with the current heatwave. It's been August weather for weeks now and it's wearing me down and making me want to stay in my cool basement apartment all day every day (which is problematic for the earning of money). Not to mention, if I leave my car in the hot sun I have trouble starting it, again problematic. And there were flakes of ash on my car this morning from the wildfires which are many miles away. All in all, I am not a fan of 35C+ weather. I like very much to be curled up and cozy, and extreme hot weather is not cozy nor amenable to curling up.
But we press on. It means I have done more art-type things and such, and have been trying to work out a bit, which I wouldn't be able to do if I lived in previous place, which was an oven and I would have melted. In summer, living in a basement apartment has its advantages I guess.

2 comments:
Oh, heatwave, yuk!
I would like some of your extra light, though. I feel like I'm living in a basement apartment because the sun sets at 5.12 pm (I'm watching) and by the time I get up and organised its very easy for the day to be more than half over and to stay inside all day.
What a delightful get-together! I think you are very lucky to know three other people that want to talk about Gabor Mate. That quote quite struck me - "The opposite of stress is a plan". Of course you have to be somewhat relaxed to make a plan. The world doesn't unfurl until you are relaxed. i wonder if the ways of the world with their relentless pressure didnt feel so pointless if we would be less stressed? Sometimes i think the levels of it are a reaction, a rebellion, to a dying story.
Ive been practising thr Buteyko breathing method. Dr Buteyko was a Russian scientist who came up with breathing techniques to help us breathe less. I've been doing them and getting my head around the fact that if he is right, I have been OVERbreathing, which in turn has dispelled too much carbon dioxide - which then means that less oxygen is getting into the cells from the blood, because it requires carbon dioxide to help it detach (I think I got that right). So yet again I find a situation in which pushing, pushing, pushing leads to the very opposite of what you are wanting. Funny, isn't it.
I feel like that fits in with what you were saying ... at least it does to me, but I'm a bit befuddled at the moment
Oh yes this globe we live on combined with internet makes for strangely direct but distant conversations. It's amazing that it can be winter there and summer here.
I'm now watching Buteyko videos - I'd never heard of it and always like to learn new things. We do always think of carbon dioxide as something we must expel but we need it too.
Thanks for the info! May less befuddlement be yours.
Post a Comment