We must become ignorant
Of all we've been taught,
And be, instead, bewildered.
Rumi ~ Bewilderment
(extract; quoted in Creativity by Matthew Fox)
So as you can see I decided to spruce up this (free) blog rather than fork out for a paid one. I'm happy with this life choice.Lately my body is telling me that I'm a little over anxious so I'm trying to be calm and zenlike and do happy-making things that involve colour - it had been far too long since I painted. I decided today to skip church (and I have to say that while I love my friends skipping church always makes me very happy and I dare say I shall have to take that up with St Peter at the pearly gates, although my guess is that he'll understand) and podge about at home as I've felt pressure in my temples, squirliness in my stomach and general discombobulation. Because of said squirliness I wanted to drink ginger tea, eat soup, listen to the radio and paint with colour.
I found this lovely photo on Etsy and used it to copy.
image by Amy Tyler Photography on Etsy
I don't paint brilliantly - the colours are too bright for one thing, but I was in a bright colour mood - but I was pretty chuffed with how it turned out. The background was too hard so I painted a pale green and focused on the flower.As with anything, the more times you try, the better you get at it. And now I return to my Friends marathon (thank you Netflix), lentil stew with rice (be calm, stomach, be calm) and general recombobulation for the week ahead. Onwards.
All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are. And we must pass through solitude and difficulty, isolation and silence, in order to reach forth to the enhanced place where we can dance our clumsy dance and sing our sorrowful song - but in this dance or in this song there are fulfilled the most ancient rites of our conscience in the awareness of being human and of being in common destiny.
Pablo Neruda ~ Nobel lecture

5 comments:
You know how to look after yourself. It's kinda wonderful. There's that strength in weakness from perhaps a slightly different angle.
Art church I think is a very good choice when it's squirly.
I hope your squirly leaves off churning you soon
This looks like a big worm, E. Like it's been painted by someone with unsettled guts, haha!
Very cool, both
Yes I think art church is my favourite kind. And yes I think the squirly one is pretty descriptive!
How very beautiful - and I love the Rumi quote; it validates my life choices wonderfully :)
I love the paintings, especially the swirly one. I'm out-of-town visiting family, so my mum and I skipped church yesterday and visited a retreat centre I used to work at. That visit was church in its own way. Sometimes I think we're able to reach out to God more easily without church in the way.
Post a Comment