I've been thinking a lot these days about what it means to be settled. I decided recently in my job-applying practice that I would not apply for jobs elsewhere in Canada - either here local to where I am now, or in the UK, which is small enough that everywhere is local (she said, sounding all North American). It is hard to know what it means to be settled. Having a house? A garden? An other half? A pet (not a dog - we tried that). This morning at church an older couple came up to me all gleeful teeth and said that they'd seen a commercial with a woman in who looked like me, and they had looked at each other and said, 'That's our Emma!' And there it was. One pronoun and I felt quite considerably settled.
***
I have been trying to exercise more and I am seeing progress. I mapped my walk/run route today and discovered it's 3.3km (about 2 miles). The first time I did it I ran about 50 yards, literally. Today I ran, I'd say, about a third of the route. Oh and also I can do a plank for 50 seconds now, very nearly a minute. So I'm very aware this is small potatoes but I am also pleased with the progress. Speaking of small potatoes, it has helped - and I'm sorry if this is too much information, but not sorry enough not to tell you - to ratchet my supportive garments up to Princess Leia level - now I don't feel like bits of me are going to be torn from my body with every downward step. Which is good. I'm going to up my route to 5km because now it's only 30 minutes or so and it needs to be 45 at least, in my opinion. And can I just recommend this - a 6-inch solid foam roller. It is superb for one's spine.
***
I feel that, aesthetically, I should have three sections to this post, not two, but I don't really have anything else to say. Following my previous post I've started a private pinterest board to collect tiny house ideas for appliances, storage, design, etc. There are lots of people in my faith community with skills and I envision it like a modern-day barn-raising. I'm not sure if they would see it that way, mind you. Et voila.
No comments:
Post a Comment