In the week leading up to my moving day last Saturday, I moved rapidly from discombobulation to quite close to a nervous breakdown - almost constant teary-ness, weak legs, inability to focus on simple things. I frightened myself. It was only with the help of my 'village', my friends, that I made it through the week. And so it was that, even though the stress was exacerbated somewhat by moving, I made the difficult decision to look to re-home my puppy. She will flourish in a more populated home, and one with a big back garden to run around in and explore. I will flourish with regular sleep patterns, having The Rest of My Life back, and the freedom to come and go as I please. Some friends took her for a week and after a day or two I felt like myself again, catching up on the proper sleep and proper food I hadn't had nearly enough of the previous month. The friends have decided, however, that they are unable to keep the puppy permanently, so I am seeking a new home for her through various channels. I have fewer mixed feelings about this than I had expected, given that she is quite a cute puppy and will make for a lovely dog in, oh, 6 months or so. I think 22 years of adulthood without 24/7 responsibility for another living being is a hard habit to break, and I can't cope with the daily proximity to poo, nor the constant neediness: I would like to be able to walk out of the house without feeling guilty. So there it is. Life lesson learned. Decisions like this are never cut and dried, but we do the best we can, and, since I am the human, my wellbeing comes first.
Painting I did this week while pup was away. (Boo to reflective paint...)
No comments:
Post a Comment