Monday, November 26, 2012

Imperceptibly

I have been remiss with the blog lately. It's that end of the term when everything gets squished and the deadlines start hurtling towards me at an alarming rate. The other day I was thinking about the assignments I have left to do for my theology classes and I slapped my hand to my head and said, 'And I have to write another freakin' prayer!' I'm not sure this is the attitude to prayer that these studies are supposed to engender. But it's not really my attitude to prayer - it's my attitude to writing a prayer (already weird) as an assignment. I'm very much trying not to over think things - it's like remembering not to make major life decisions when you have PMS. Things will look different after the end of the semester. And I was comforted recently by something I read in Evelyn Underhill's book Abba, which puts my pile of assignments in their proper perspective:

I am certain that we gradually and imperceptibly learn more about God by [a] persistent attitude of humble adoration than we can hope to do by any amount of mental exploration.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...