I just wrote a four paragraph blog post about choice and how I don't like too much of it when I'm buying toothbrushes. It said profound things about how we only feel our choices are valid if we can set them alongside other possible options and feel like we've considered everything else first, and how this goes for everything from toothbrushes to careers. I talked about how annoyed and less free I feel when I have too many choices, too many variables. I mentioned the story of a friend of mine who joined me and another friend at a Chinese restaurant and studied the entire very lengthy menu, and asked the server many, many questions to feel that she'd made the most informed, perfect choice, and how she then tasted the food that arrived and didn't like it, and asked for it to be changed.
I wrote that someone had said once that the best thing to do when faced with a book-like menu is to read it until you find something you'd like to eat, then stop reading. I suggested this could be generalized to many decisions in life. If you find a career you love, even only temporarily, then choose that, just choose it for its own merits, without feeling you have to choose it out of a line-up. It's not a question of settling, of things being good enough. It's a question of seeing the goodness in things, and not being victim to the best, to perfection.These were the things I wrote, then I managed somehow to erase the whole thing. I suppose this must be the universe trying to teach me a lesson. Still, this is the nub of it: be like Harry.
No comments:
Post a Comment