Here I am. Summer busyness, blazing hot weather for too many days, and lack of schedule got the better of me as far as blogging goes. I'm still busy, one more paper to write, but there is light (and it's cooler). I preached
and played the piano in church this morning, which was a little excessive but did mean that I got to control pretty much everything in the entire service, and that was pleasing. I based my sermon on a paper I wrote this summer on hospitality. In fact, this has been a theme for all three papers in some way - one on mission, one on the Holy Spirit and the one I'm writing now on preaching. This is my summer theme, it seems. I didn't feel as nervous preaching this time. I made a conscious effort to make it about God, to be hospitable in inviting God into the space created between me and my fear and anxiety and it seemed to do the trick. I also painted my fingernails bright red, and that helped too.
This afternoon I went for a wander in a local wooded park and took pictures. This is one of my favourite activities. I love standing among trees and listening to them. All is well.
In other news I have put my name on the waiting list for a puppy for after Christmas. This is a bold move, and I haven't decided yet if I'll follow through. We'll see.
I leave you with an extract from
The Cure at Troy by Seamus Heaney that I picked as the benediction this morning:
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up,
And hope and history rhyme.
So hope for a great sea-change
On the far side of revenge.
Believe that a farther shore
Is reachable from here.
Believe in miracles
And cures and healing wells.
No comments:
Post a Comment