Friday, July 16, 2010

Caught on a breeze

I'm staying at A Rocha for two days (and two nights). I've only stayed here legitimately one night before. It's my vacation, although tomorrow I get to make dinner for 15 people (potato skins, 'fixins' and salad). This week was crazy full, both days and evenings, mostly with work-related things, so it's nice to be away, among friends, even if it's only 20 minutes away.
Work and living plans are moving apace, like they've taken on a life of their own. The tumbleweed home idea has moved rapidly from a dream to a viable reality. I'm getting in touch with a guy from church who can give me a quote on materials. I'm still hoping to get much of the labour for free, either as a favour or as a bartered skill (maybe bartered for house-cleaning or gardening). It'll be like a barn-raising. I'm as excited about the building process as I am about living in the actual thing. I was reading up on composting toilets today (for example). I want to tweak the plans a bit - have the roof at the front extend over the 'deck' for example for another sleeping loft space, and put a window in the roof. Things like that. I'm quite quite serious about building it. Wouldn't you like to see the picture again? The Tarleton is now my preferred Tumbleweed.

And work wise things are shifting. I'll be keeping two classes at the place I used to work at for free since they are now offering to pay me (long story) and there may be options at A Rocha - still figuring out if and how that might involve money. I'll be happy to be working part-time though, even if I'm poorer financially. And I'm still deciding whether to keep my crazy commute job one day a week in Vancouver. Yesterday I did the whole day plus dinner with a friend on Commercial Drive at the slightly posh Carthage Cafe before coming home. Tiredness all round but I've decided I'd be tired anyway so I may as well do stuff too.
So I have so many plans in so many areas I just keep chipping away at little corners of each one in turn, and bit by bit things become clear. It's a balance of the chipping away and being prepared to sit with ambiguity for a while. Perseverance and patience. Pursuing and trusting. And sleeping.

2 comments:

E.Louise said...

"viable reality" might have been a bit strong really. It could happen though.

Carm said...

I've been dreaming of a tumbleweed home ever since I learned about them. Please do this. Then I can visit and see how wonderful you have made it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...