Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The other right

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, 
lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him, 
and He will make your paths straight.
I'm seeing words like this differently these days especially in thinking about direction and decision-making. The first line does not mean ignore your own brain in favour of writing in the sky. It means life is about relationship, with God with others, and those things are beyond understanding. And the second line says 'your paths'. Many paths, and they are yours. It doesn't say '...and He'll show you His preferred path, if you're lucky'. And the straightening of the paths I used to think was a reward - now I think it's a logical consequence.
Faith doesn't always mean believing the impossible; sometimes it means believing the possible. Sometimes the impossible is easier to pray for because if it happens, (and it's good) we know it must have been God, right? Somehow praying for the possible is riskier. Praying for the possible is more of a relationship, an everyday conversation with God. It brings God down from the heavens into daily life.
Like this (I'd cut it at 1m33 if I knew how, although it's one of my favourite movies.)
It's less thinking about reaching deep into our souls or high into the heavens to determine the Eternal Significance and Rightness of our every decision and more about remembering that 'eternal significance and rightness' is a done deal, given by God, and we can be of a bit more 'earthly use' - a good path is what is right and just and fair (prov 2:9).
Faith is something a lot of people relate to as a God thing, 
but it's also faith in yourself.
I'm starting to think that the idea of making The Right Decision is somewhat of a myth. What if there's no Right Decision? What if there's a number of possible Right Decisions? What if we are to have a bit more responsibility for our lives, what then? We say 'God what do you want me to do?' and He says 'I gave you a perfectly good brain - what do you think? What do you actually want to do? You have the capacity to know what is best for you and what sits right with your soul. And bear this in mind: I am with you, now and always. I will always be with you whatever you decide. Whatever you do or don't do. So worry a bit less - actually a lot less - about what you think I want you to do. I'm a lot more interested in who you are. I know that you believe in me as best you can. You need to know that I believe in you.'
I will be with you wherever you go

3 comments:

JoMama said...

Shoot-fire Emma. That is really FINE thinking and writing. Your next book in the making. I am blessed, deeply blessed by this. The conversation with God. I feel like I'm feeling God's delight in being brought into the conversation as Immanuel, one of us.

Heather said...

Total agreement, very eloquently put. Someone said a long time ago (Andy Bathgate actually, I even remember who) that God's will is more of a field with a fence than a path. There's no right or wrong way, only a place, a pretty big open place wih some boundaries. He also said it's not where you are that matters to God it's who you are. So yes, I'm in total agreement. Please keep writing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Yes I agree that we need to use our own intelligence to work some problems out but God is there when we need Him. He gives us peace and then we know we can go ahead or 'dispeace' and we know we have to be cautious.If we are close to God I sometimes think He doesn't mind which of the routes we take. The secret is, I guess, keeping close to God. We enjoy it and He enjoys it too! RP

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...