Sunday, March 28, 2010

Nature and nurture

Weeks ago I cut a leaf from a very healthy African violet I have in my office, in the hope I could propagate a new plant. Not knowing much about the finer details of propagation, I simply stuck the leaf in a pot of soil and watered it. Every day I checked to see if it needed water, I kept moving it around to keep it in the best light, and gave it a slight tug after a couple of weeks to see if it had started putting down roots. It seemed to be a wonderfully healthy leaf that didn't know how to grow. Still, I kept taking care of it and willing it to remember how to sprout new shoots. I was fully prepared to keep looking after it as a solitary leaf as long as it wanted to stay that way but I felt it had it in it to grow.
And yesterday, after a month or more, this happened:
Can you see that tiny green leaf sticking up out of the soil? I was so stinking excited and proud of my plant for finally growing.

It suddenly makes sense to me why God lets us work things out for ourselves, mothering us with care and placing us in the right light, letting us be who we are and waiting until we remember how to grow.


The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
Albert Einstein

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...