My work picked up to full time in August and it's been pretty stressful. Plus most of the day I'm on the computer so rarely want to look at it in the evening or weekends. Still, we'll see. About everything.
I just finished a 'show' at a local cafe - they put up some of my prints and I sold two! Hurrah. I might re-start an Etsy shop in the new year. Have to see about that too. Work doesn't leave me with a lot of energy to spare, but creativity is also my lifeline.
This time of the year is like Thursdays, and four o'clock. It's too late to start anything new. Still, it's a good time to think about what I might like to start anew, when the time comes. I think like most people I'm looking forward to drawing a line under 2016 and moving on.
I've been taking a relief printing class this term which has been fun. I put a lot of my art stuff on instagram these days - I am emmascribbles1 - and I'm still trying to do something creative at least one day a week if I can. Of course now I want all the expensive printing stuff.
Funnily enough I'm still mirroring things as in my last post six months ago. At my art show thing someone asked me why all my prints were mirrored and I said it was because I was trying to make some kind of order out of my chaotic life, and it was one of those things you don't realize is true until someone asks you and you say it out loud. Since I'm still mirroring things I guess I'm still working on it.
Working full time at my particular job is stressful but I am also earning enough to do more than pay bills for the first time in years. And I think part of the adjustment I'm making is in understanding the toll that being underemployed and minimally paid for an extensive period of years took on me. I hadn't really identified that as something that had affected me until my new job was placed at risk recently and my stress levels went through the roof.
As ever, self awareness and self care is a journey. Something else for the new year.

No comments:
Post a Comment