Saturday, March 14, 2015

Insufficient

Another scribbling. I just read Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel and liked it a great, great deal (five stars on goodreads!). Plus I said so on the twitter and she replied, which is a big thumbs up from me. (Mary Doria Russell also replied when I said I loved The Sparrow, which may or may not have made me shriek a little.)
Station Eleven is set, well, now, as a flu epidemic suddenly and rapidly decimates the population. Doesn't that sound like fun? Well it's could-happen scary but also small scale in following just a few characters (rather than, say, epic global happenings). It's really very good. We follow a 'Travelling Symphony' whose motto is 'Because Survival is Insufficient'. Ms St J Mandel says in the acknowledgements that this is inspired by a line from Seven of Nine in Star Trek Voyager, who says 'Survival is insufficient'.
In any case, I was inspired by this marvellous motto to turn it into a card design.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I love recommendations. This sounds great. I love the idea of the Travelling Symphony. And how ultra cool that she responded on the Twitter.

E.Louise said...

Yes very cool. It is a recommendable book.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...