So I discovered something yesterday that made me disappointed. The William Blake quote I love dearly, and that is on the side of this blog, is from what can really only be called a racist poem. I googled around a bit and there is some debate on this but you have to really, really bend over backwards and sideways to not see it as racist, it seems to me. So I don't know, do I keep the quote? Is it too tarnished? I don't know.
***
In completely unrelated news, as indicated by three asterisks, I'm pretty sure I'm going to let my hair be grey. I always go through this every time the dye starts to grow out and then I freak out and dye it again. Oh but I hate dyeing it so much, truly. I hate that I pay money to put chemicals on my head to fake the colour it used to be. It just sounds so stupid. I do, however, wonder if I will look considerably older. I mean, I definitely will look older, but perhaps with a somewhat young face I can pull it off? I'm forty, so my face isn't cherubic, but with dyed hair, I normally get guesses less than forty. With half-grey hair? Not so much, I'm sure. Do I care? I might. We'll see.
***
Back to the thesis. Three chapters of five drafted, close to 20,000 words. I have a slightly maniacal look in my eye quite a lot of the time. Will end with new card at my Etsy shop, appropriate for the situation.

1 comment:
Black: hmm, you do have to tilt yourself in positions uncomfortable for it to not seem racist, don't you? That is disappointing. And yet Blake is a product of his time, and I know that sounds trite but it's just because it's true.
I totally get if it feels too tarnished to you now. That poem feels rather revolting, but I guess it makes William Blake assume his rightful position as a human :)
Grey: that is very cool. I've often wondered what I'd do if my hair went grey (I have many other genetic components I'm not happy with, but I don't seem to be going grey, at least not yet). I have thought that if I did I would like to dye it one of those cool silvery colours I've seen on women that look lovely, but then that's just doing exactly the same thing only one step closer to the truth.
Multicoloured: rock on, baby :)
Post a Comment