Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sally forth

On my last visit to A Rocha, I picked up this twisted willow branch that had broken off their tree. No really, it fell off. It's not a native plant - but as was pointed out to me, it's native to somewhere.
Willow has a lot of myths and spiritual practices associated with it, both Christian and pagan - it is associated with femininity and used to make wands and divining sticks (1). It's also the source of salicylic acid and aspirin. And, because of its fast-growing nature, it symbolizes the renewal, growth and vitality of taking a new direction. I like that. The name of willows is salix from the Latin salire 'to leap' and in English this turns into the word 'sally', as in 'sally forth', a "sudden outburst of emotions, actions or emotions"(2).

I have no current plans to make any wands but I do like the idea of having such an 'energetic' and determined plant about the place. If it grows as fast as it's supposed to, I may well have to donate it somewhere else. But I'll keep it while I can.
Incidentally, while googling willow myths I came across this British site where you can order native trees online and it tells you about their associated myths and wisdom. Great idea.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...